Remember: Magento Isn’t Slow By Default
Popular as Magento is, it’s quite a resource-heavy e commerce platform, which means it requires the right set of tools and technologies for better performance. If you want to compete in the market, you have to ensure timely store responses that’s configured with well-known caches, and relies on trusted infrastructure.
In that vein, here are some Magento speed optimization hacks that you can implement for improved performance of your Magento store.
Important Tips to Magento speed optimization
Optimized and fast page load time of a Magento store is essential for increased store ROI. Here are some actionable hacks as Magento speed optimization that will make your store load faster and create a measurable impact on in-store performance.
Host on Managed Cloud Servers
As important as it is to meet Magento’s technological requirements, you also have to choose the right Magento hosting to avoid facing problems.
If you want your Magento store load faster, consider a reliable managed cloud hosting. Why? Magento requires you to fulfill specific server requirements for an outclass performance. The following are the server requirements that you need to ensure before finalizing a hosting partner:
- Choose Linux or its distribution like RedHat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), CentOS, Ubuntu, Debian, and similar
- The memory requirement should be 2GB of RAM
- Web servers include Apache 2.4 and NGINX 1.X
- MySQL 5.6, 5.7, MariaDB 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 and other MySQL compatible technologies
- PHP version 7.1, 7.2 & 7.3. Along with the required PHP modules
- Enable Elasticsearch version 6.8
- Configure cache technologies Varnish 6.x and Redis 3.2, 4.0, 5.0
- Installed required system dependencies (bash, gzip, lsof, mysql, mysqldump, nice, php, sed, tar)
Besides, you have to also configure SMTP and SSL to ensure the secure connection of your Magento store.
Use the Updated Version
The great thing about Magento is that they regularly make updates, release new versions, fix bugs and develop security patches. So whenever you hear about the latest release, ask your developer to upgrade as soon as possible.
If you are still using Magento, it’s highly recommended that you migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2 to experience better Magento speed optimization, flexibility, and the latest technologies like headless ecommerce and PWA.
Enable Varnish Cache For Magento Store
Cache technologies are key to get Magento speed optimization for your online store. To experience the maximum page load time of your store, you need to install and configure Varnish cache. And you can easily enable the Varnish cache with the Magento Admin Panel.
Log in to your Magento backend. Navigate to Stores > Configuration and Advanced section click on System. Expand the Full Page Cache option, choose Varnish Cache, and hit the Save Config.
Memcached is an open-source object caching system that improves the Magento store performance by decreasing the load on database operations. So if you want to configure Memcached, you have to first install it into your server. Here, I’m assuming you have installed it.
The next step is to configure Memcached for Magento 2 store. You need to add a Memcached configuration in the env.php file. In this env.php file, you will find a large number of PHP arrays with numerous configurations and settings.
You need to add the few lines of code in the env.php. For that you have to open Magento 2 root directory > app > etc > env.php and open the file in your code editor.
Search for the below code:
'session' => array ( 'save' => 'files', ),
And then change the above code with these lines:
'session' => array ( 'save' => 'memcached', 'save_path' => 'memcached ip or host:memcached port', ),
Enable Flat Categories & Products
By using a Flat Catalog Category & Products instead of the native, you will see an immense performance change. When Magento uses server resources for accessing the details and products, it slows down the store due to lack of resources.
To avoid this issue you need to enable the Flat Catalog with these simple steps:
- Log in to your Magento Admin Panel and Navigate to Store > Configuration.
- Under the Catalog category, click Category.
- Expand the Storefront section, and change the values from No to Yes of both the fields Use Flat Catalog Category and Use Flat Catalog Product.
- Click on Save Config.
Optimize JS & CSS
- Go to your Magento dashboard and navigate to Store > Configuration. Choose the Developer option under the Advanced section.
- Repeat the same process for minifying CSS and change the fields Merge CSS Files and Minify CSS Files to Yes.
- Click on Save Config
Enable Content Delivery Network
Common Store Optimization Suggestions
These are some general tips that should be kept in mind while developing a Magento store:
- Use lightweight themes.
- Choose necessary and reliable extensions for your store. Verify the extensions through Magento Marketplace and customer reviews.
- Use optimized images for example use PNG or SVG format for the brand’s logo, compress the images, and ensure the products’ images are in JPEG format.
I hope the above-mentioned tips and tricks will help you get Magento speed optimization for your store performance so you can sustain a greater number of customers. Websites that load faster are likelier to rank on the first page of Google and attract repeat visits. This helps boost conversions and sales.
If you feel I’ve missed out on any important Magento speed optimization tips, let me know in the comment section.
Another solution for you: Install a new marketplace Magento 2 theme.
New outstanding Magento 2 theme by Magesolution has been released in September 2020: GemMart – Marketplace Multipurpose.
GemMart is a responsive, powerful, and modern multipurpose Magento 2 theme which is specially designed for the multi-vendor marketplace, electronics stores, mobile phones, tablet, digital cameras accessories, and gadgets, etc. GemMart theme is the perfect choice for people who want to build a website like Amazon, Lazada or eBay with a unique design…
Why choose GemMart to get Magento speed optimization?
- GemMart gets an A for PageSpeed Score (98%) so don’t worry, your website will not get any problems with site speed.
- Save $698 to get the best extensions to make your own outstanding website, include site speed performance.
>>>> GET IT NOW!!! INTRO PRICE FOR NEW ITEM FROM 15TH SEPTEMBER 2020: $39
Also, if you want to take a look at our showcase, you can check out our portfolio here: ArrowHiTech portfolio.